Unofficial eMachines Forums

Discussion about eMachines Notebooks and Desktops
The time is Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: T5224 Hard Drive Partition
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:57 pm 

Would anyone know if you partition the hard drive will the boot disk still work as if it had 1 partition? Would I need a the hardware utility to perform this fuction or will it promt me on the bootable disk that came with the machine?

Thanks Pat

Post subject: Re: T5224 Hard Drive Partition
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 am 
Gold Member

Hi Probrian,

You don't say what you want to do with this extra partition (IE: Storage or another Operating System)

Here are some links from Microsoft. (Happy Reading!)

Start with the first result, as it links to more info. I checked on Partition Magic, but it doesn't list Vista as a supported OS and may be cost prohibitive.

You should be able to partition through Vista itself, or if you have access to another PC running XP, you can partition using Disk Manangement as well.

If all else fails, or you want an easy way out, simply adding a second hard drive would be a simple solution.

Let us know how you make out.

T2792, OE Imperial GV MB, Pentium 4 - 2.8 GHz - 533 FSB, 80 GB 7200 RPM Western Digital HD, 1 GB DDR333 RAM, GeForce FX5200 PCI Video, Fortron 350 watt PSU, Masscool copper CPU heatsink and fan, Temp sensing rear case fan, Win XP Pro.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:56 am 
Global Moderator

Good links, pclapguy. Looks like Vista can shrink a partition. Cool. Cool
Quote:
You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

Yes. It's possible in this version of Windows (Vista) to repartition your hard disk by using the Shrink feature in Disk Management. You can shrink an existing partition or volume to create unallocated disk space, from which you can create a new partition or volume. (Often, the terms partition and volume are used interchangeably.)
1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.‌ Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
3. Right-click the volume you want to shrink, and then click Shrink Volume.
4. Follow the instructions on your screen.

pobrian, while you're around, I'd be interested to know what power supply that new machine of yours has, brand, power and whether it is 20 pin or 24 pin. Thanks.

Best Regards from Steve. Jeantech Micro Titan case. Asrock G41M-LE and E5400. PowerColor HD 5770. 2X2GB DDR2-1066. Seagate 7200.10 160GB SATA HD. Optiarc IDE DVD Burner. Antec EW 380W PSU. Samsung 1440X900 WS. Windows 7 Retail 64bit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:38 pm 
Gold Member

system7 wrote:
Good links, pclapguy. Looks like Vista can shrink a partition. Cool. Cool

Thanks System7 Exclamation I came to the same conclusion myself after reading the text you quoted from the Microsoft link above. Having yet to lay my hands on a Vista machine, I figured I'd give pobrian all the possible options.

While researching the T5224 at CompUSA I was pleased to see that Emachines running Vista are now supplied with an Operating System Recovery DVD instead of using a partition on the hard drive for backing up the OS.

The move to the partitioned hard drive was a terrible step back-wards; it's good to see the Recovery Disk making a comeback.

T2792, OE Imperial GV MB, Pentium 4 - 2.8 GHz - 533 FSB, 80 GB 7200 RPM Western Digital HD, 1 GB DDR333 RAM, GeForce FX5200 PCI Video, Fortron 350 watt PSU, Masscool copper CPU heatsink and fan, Temp sensing rear case fan, Win XP Pro.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:14 pm 
Global Moderator

So the question for pobrian here, is can the DVD (manually?) restore to a first partition, whilst leaving data intact on a created second partition? The old restore CDs used to have that command line option with ghost.

Something that slightly baffles me, is why Vista, the "64 bit operating system", seems to be mostly shipping in a 32 bit version. Is this because drivers are not ready?

Here is a good review of that 18 month old (!) Intel 945G Express chipset and the sort of processors that run on it. The higher end core duo's seem to require a 965 chipset. But that is more Gateway territory at the moment.
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3261_3513091__1

Best Regards from Steve. Jeantech Micro Titan case. Asrock G41M-LE and E5400. PowerColor HD 5770. 2X2GB DDR2-1066. Seagate 7200.10 160GB SATA HD. Optiarc IDE DVD Burner. Antec EW 380W PSU. Samsung 1440X900 WS. Windows 7 Retail 64bit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:29 pm 
Gold Member

Good point System7 - There's no doubt that the T5224 is running an outdated CPU. (But then again, so am I !!! )

This review at Cnet gives the opinion that if Emachines wanted to save money on this model, a better move would have been to go with an AMD based system.

Reading further, it also answers your question regarding the Power Supply. According to Cnet, the T5224 ships with a 300 watt unit.

As far as using the Restore Disk to install on a specific partition, I'm assuming that since Vista can create additional partitions in an active Operating System environment, the Vista OS should be installed first on the large drive - after which an additional partition can be created using the steps you quoted from Microsoft.

I hope pobrian gives it a go and posts back with his results Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:57 pm 
Global Moderator

I looked closely at that CNET video, but couldn't see if it is a 20 or 24 pin supply.... Laughing
As you know, it has been creating a few problems for people who want to add a graphics card on some models.
But pclapguy, if that machine is "outdated", and I prefer to call it respectable, value conscious budget-end; we must be stone-age! Smile
Personally, I am quite happy eMachines have ducked AMD this quarter. One less new motherboard to research... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:10 pm 
Gold Member

Yes System7, I believe we are in the "Stone Age" with our 2.7 Celeron processors. Exclamation Exclamation

In retrospect, I think Cnet's review was a tad harsh, comparing the T5224 with higher end systems.

After all, it is being marketed (and priced) as an entry level Vista PC.

I'm sure pobrian will get many happy years out of that 2.8 GHz Pentium D Dual Core. Very Happy Very Happy