Unofficial eMachines Forums

Discussion about eMachines Notebooks and Desktops
The time is Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Installing a PCI Express x16 video card
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:03 pm 
Global Moderator

As the PCI express (PCIe or PCIx) gets more popular, and eMachines uses it in their computers more and more, people, like us who come to this forum, will be wanting to upgrade our graphics with a PCIe video card. PCIe is pretty straight forward but there are actually 2 kinds of PCIe slots. One is just the slot, like a PCI slot, and the other is the same slot only it has a latch on the end to better hold the card in...

The two black slots are PCIe x16 slots without the latch at the end.

This a PCIe x16 slot with the latch at the end. In this particular board, you pull the latch to the side to let the card in and then it will latch into place. Next to it is 2 PCIe x1 slots which VERY FEW cards support (I'm talking like 6 cards here). Usually SATA cards use PCIe x1 slots.

Now when you get your card and are super excited and want nothing more than to just rip the box open and put the card in, DON'T! There are a few things you must do before you slide in the sucker...

1)Go into Windows device manager and uninstall the drivers for your current graphics. When that is done it is going to say you have to restart your computer. Just go ahead and turn it off completely.

2)When your computer is off, make sure to unplug the power cord. Now you can open up your case and insert your video card. But before you touch your video card, touch the inside metal of your computer case to ground yourself so that you don't accidentally give your card, or motherboard, a static shock. If you can, try to rest your elbow or wrist or something on the computer case so that you are grounded just as a precaution.

3)When you are grounded, insert the card into the PCIe slot and if applicable, latch it in. Now use the small screw that your card should come with and screw it into the backplate of your card to secure it to the case. Now you can plug in your monitor to the DVI or VGA/D-sub port. If you are going to be useing two monitors, just plug one in for now.

4)Now take pictures to show to us at the forum Razz ... OK, you can skip that step if you want.

5)Now put the side panel back onto your computer and turn it on. Or you can turn it on first to make sure the card's fan works and you don't have a defective one.

6)Windows will say it found now hardware but don't let it install drivers. Instead, insert the drivers disk and install those drivers and what ever else (monitoring software...) it might come with. Then the program will say that you have to restart. Go ahead and restart. If you are going to use two monitors, plug in the second one after the computer boots up.

You have just installed a PCIe graphics card and you didn't even need to call NASA for tech support Laughing

Post subject: Re: Installing a PCI Express x16 video card
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:12 pm 
Gold Member

nice guide ! i have a question though: is the latch same as the ones in agp slots?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:34 pm 
Global Moderator

They can be, I've seen two different styles. One like the one pictured, and another with a lever that goes up and down, sort of like the ones that hold in RAM. It depends on the manufacturer of the motherboard.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:31 pm 
Gold Member

Do you know if a T5010 (desktop) can be fitted/or has this PCI-E capability? I'd sure love to be able to upgrade away from the stock Intel card. (sorry not very techie). Hope I phrased it right.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:46 am 
Global Moderator

Hmm... I'm showing that you have an Intel d915GVWB motherboard which, for some reason, only has 2 PCI slots and one PCIe x1 slot. This puts you in a rut because the graphics card support for PCIe x1 is so little that there are only a small handful of cards that use it. I'm not saying they don't exist, but you are greatly limited to an ATI Radeon X1300 or X1550. Both of which I'm sure would be an improvement over your onboard graphics that your using now but they will cost almost $100 on www.newegg.com They also have workstation cards that use it but they are like $300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:16 pm 
Gold Member

Hello,

After following these instructions, I have a blank screen. Any ideas?

Should I not have uninstalled the on-board video drivers?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

My current specs.:

eMachine T6410
CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 3200+ Processor (512KB L2 cache, 2.2GHz, 1600MHz FSB)
Chipset: ATI RS480
Memory: 1G DDR (400MHz)
Video: ATI Radeon® Xpress 200 (PCI-Express® )
128MB DDR shared video memory
PSU: Antec power supply 400w
Dimensions: 14.125"H x 7.25"W x 16"D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:03 am 
Gold Member

Just an update / add-on.

If you have an on-board video, you should not have to disable it. When you put the new pci card in, it will override the on-board video. Just make sure you plug the card into your power supply, if it is needed.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:22 pm 
Global Moderator

Nice guide. When the Found new hardware wizard opens on restart, just hit cancel. One other fact, to my knowledge eMachines has two PSU's. a 250w and a 300w. The ones today have a 300w for the most part. These PCIe cards require a minimum of 350w. I have run an Nvidia 7600GS on the 300w PSU that came in here, but changed it out the PSU for a 500w eventually. coastie65

Cooler Master 912 HAF case, ASUS P8Z68-VPro MOBO, Intel i7 2600k, 8 Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 1600Mhz ram, WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III, EVGA GTX 560Ti 1Gb GDDR5 PCIe Video Card, Corsair AX850w PSU, Samsung optical drive w/ Lightscribe, Samsung Monitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:34 pm 

I am carrying this over from another section of the forum.

I am a bonehead.

I cannot current view any of the operations of my t3256 machine on my monitor. I recently installed a new video card, but did it wrong... way wrong.

First, I didn't disable the integrated card before installing the new one. After inserting the card and installing the new driver, I accidentally deleted the originally driver from the computer. So at startup it declared "new hardware-vga compatible video driver missing". In my defense I really knew better, but was too tired to be working on the machine.

For a variety of reasons it took about three days to get a new (old) driver, to disable. However, in the meantime I had tried to connect to my big tv, and when displayed on this tv, the pc would not let me adjust my resolution to any but the smallest of res (820x?). This was a new problem for me (I was using the wrong cable connection so the tv didn't recognize the input as a computer and the computer couldn't figure out what it was hooked to so it went to default, I think). In a particularly bright moment, I set the display res to it's highest possibility on my small monitor, hoping it would fix the tv problem, however it made my monitor mad enough to just display text saying that it could not support such settings. I could not adjust it at all from that monitor anymore.

Back to the tv, I tried to undo the problem by disabling the new card, expecting that I could reinstall the old driver afterward and be back to square one, to do it all over again properly. Now it loads up, shows that windows is loading, and goes to a black screen. I can hear the machine opening all of my startup files, so I know the whole machine is still working, but I can't see it at all.

I can still access bios. Can I install the original driver from there, straight off of a thumb drive? Could I access a windows file and turn the second driver back on from there? There's no way I'm going to reinstall an os for this, could I remotely fix it from another computer?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:40 pm 
Global Moderator

Hi j, First, if it is the onboard graphics drivers, if you uninstall them from the Device manager, they will reinstall on reboot as general rule. This is usually done to solve a driver issue with the onboard graphics chipset. You do have to disable the onboard chipset before installing the Video card, Although, I am not all that sure if it is necessary when installing a PCIe card or not. Once the card is installed, then make sure your monitor is plugged into it and then install the drivers. Once you disable the onboard graphics, you will be using the generic drivers that are in the OS. coastie

Cooler Master 912 HAF case, ASUS P8Z68-VPro MOBO, Intel i7 2600k, 8 Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 1600Mhz ram, WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III, EVGA GTX 560Ti 1Gb GDDR5 PCIe Video Card, Corsair AX850w PSU, Samsung optical drive w/ Lightscribe, Samsung Monitor