Unofficial eMachines Forums

Discussion about eMachines Notebooks and Desktops
The time is Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: T3304 PCIe New Video Card Installtion
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:26 am 

I found the posting for the procedure for installing a video card in a standard PCI slot. What is the installation procedure for installing a new video card in a PCI Express? I have a T3304 which I am trying to install a GeForce 8400 in, and I am having major problems trying to get it to work. I have uninstalled the old drivers, which caused a loss in the ability to change the screen resolution, and have disabled the old card in the device manager. After installing the new card, the device manager sees the new card, but, since it has a question mark, it does not know what to do with it. When I try to run the software cd for the new card, an error screen comes up and tells me that it does not recognize the new card and tells me to download the old drivers for the 6100 video card. The system also reloads the 6100. What am I doing wrong, and how can I get the new card installed and working properly. My t3304 is now stuck on the lowest screen resolution and nearly impossible to read as everything is so large.Thanks for any help you can give me.

Post subject: Re: T3304 PCIe New Video Card Installtion
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:29 am 
Global Moderator

I've got the same motherboard. What you should do is first install the drivers for the new 8400 card. Then put the card in, but when you restart the computer for the first time, press F2 ( I think it's F2 ) to enter the BIOS. Now go you have to set the primary video to PCIe. Then restart the machine and windows SHOULD recognize the new card and install the drivers since you already loaded them on. Let me restart my computer to make sure I explained that right.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:15 pm 
Global Moderator

InspectorExacto wrote:
I've got the same motherboard. What you should do is first install the drivers for the new 8400 card. Then put the card in, but when you restart the computer for the first time, press F2 ( I think it's F2 ) to enter the BIOS. Now go you have to set the primary video to PCIe. Then restart the machine and windows SHOULD recognize the new card and install the drivers since you already loaded them on. Let me restart my computer to make sure I explained that right.

As far as I know, You shouldn't have to go into BiOS when installing a new card. When Going from onboard Graphics to a card, I have always Disabled the onboard graphics, then installed the card and moved the cable to it. On reboot, you should get a new hardware detected pop up. As a general rule, I'll ignore all that stuff and go to the manufaturers site and download the latest drivers, as the ones that come with it on CD are most likely outdated anyway. One other thing, the 8400 Card is not a good gaming card. The bit transfer rate is only 64 on that thing among other things. The 8600GT is 128 and that is what you are looking for well as other things such as 2.0 Shader and such. I made the mistake of getting an 8400GS and within a month bought the 8600GT. coastie

Cooler Master 912 HAF case, ASUS P8Z68-VPro MOBO, Intel i7 2600k, 8 Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 1600Mhz ram, WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III, EVGA GTX 560Ti 1Gb GDDR5 PCIe Video Card, Corsair AX850w PSU, Samsung optical drive w/ Lightscribe, Samsung Monitor

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:11 am 
Gold Member

I believe with nvidia cards (I like ATI so the "I Believe" part is real Laughing ), you have to start out with onboard and put the drivers in for the card. Then turn off the PC. Then put the new card in and fire it up. This is basicly what the Inspector mentioned.

Bella