Unofficial eMachines Forums

Discussion about eMachines Notebooks and Desktops
The time is Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can't access emachines T5062 recovery partition
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:37 am 

I messed up my registry and had to reformat. I went to my recovery partition but could not use it. So I used my recovery dvd but the recovery manager was missing. So I just reinstalled vista without any of the trial software that came with it. Now I don't mind not having any of that trial software on my computer but I do mind not having the recovery partition available. I thought that if I used the recovery dvd that would have restored everything but it didn't. I mean I can still see my recovery partition but the emachine recovery console is missing so I can't access it. On the dvd it shows Vista Recovered on Local D Drive which doesn't seem right. I think something got really messed up. How do I get my recovery partition back to where I can use it? In other words how do I get my computer back to it's factory settings?

Post subject: Re: Can't access emachines T5062 recovery partition
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:23 am 
Global Moderator

Well, I've seen a few different spots where it will ask to boot to the recovery patition. I've seen it ask as the BIOS was loading (when it shows the big lowercase "e" on the screen it might say "press F11 for recovery") and I've seen it ask for about 2 seconds weather to boot Windows or boot the recovery counsol. For that option, it will have windows highlighted and you have to press the down key on the keyboard to highlight recovery but you only have about a second to do it. Do you have these options when you start up the computer?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:22 am 

No, I don't have these options when I start up the computer!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:40 pm 

You have to have the option of F2"BIOS" or F11"Safe Mode" or F10"Boot Menu"or F8"Recovery"
Which should be displayed on the "Boot Screen"
Try rebooting and start pressing F10 as soon as the fans turn on (as in immediately)
Just Tap the key several times as the computer Boots... That should let you into Boot Menu and the Recovery Partition Should be represented there attempt to boot if no go then You may have to create a new partition...
BACK UP ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA ONTO AN EXTERNAL DRIVE OR SOMEWHERE OFF OF THE COMPUTER...
Insert the OEM Recovery Disk...
If It pops up asking you what you want to do tell it "NOTHING" just exit the recovery process...
(We want the recovery disk in in case the system crashes)
Run chkdsk (check disk) check for damage to the partition
If it is damaged you need to create a new partion of the same size and in the same file system (FAT32)
If there is no damage but you just cant access it try to reformat the partion...
Open "My Computer"\Locate the drive letter of the partition...(probably D)\Right Click\scroll to "Reformat"\left Click
a dialogue box will come up asking if you want to change the file system MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE IT IN THE SAME FILE SYSTEM (Probably FAT32) and gives you the option of quick format. I ALWAYS RUN A FULL FORMAT
It may warn you that you are about to delete system files...
(If you cant re format you may have to manually remove the all data from the partition and alot of it will not want to be removed so you will have to go online and download a tool called "Unlocker" to access inaccessible files. Once you've got the partition cleared then you should be able to reformat for sure...)
After you get the partion reformatted REBOOT w/recovery CD instruct it to perform "Destructive Restore" it should create a new revoery partion where the old one was. If it fails to do so then YOU must transfer (copy) all of the operating system files to the recovery partion Manually.
(Which usually consists of transferring all "Program Files" and "Windows" to the partion immediately after a full system recovery...)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:15 pm 

IF you installed Vista from a Microsoft disk (NOT an eMachines disk), then the Recovery Partition is GONE! That's something only a factory disk would keep. Windoze will completely erase everything on the hard drive and then set the drive up to suit itself. I could be wrong here, but I have a sinking feeling that I'm not. Crying or Very sad

For that matter, over the years I've done Factory Restores on at least a dozen eMachines models, and every one I've seen yet will install from the factory CD or DVD to a blank hard drive. The later ones I've used will make a Restore Partition first, and then finish the job from there.

Good Luck!

Sailor Bill